Wednesday, October 1, 2008

NO MORE EAR TUBES OR SURGERY FOR MARIAH! Happy dance...happy dance! Scott and I had prepared ourselves for the worst. Our usually very optomistic peditrician had told us, the ENT Doctor would want to do another set of ear tubes in addition to taking MG's adnoids out! So...we walked into the Dr's office with those thoughts in mind.

Hearing test...passed with FLYING colors! In fact,they were impressed with her hearing! In addition,the 'game' they played with her to test her hearing is a game geared towards 3-5 year olds. Typically...the three year olds do not excel at the game portion. Mariah did FANTASTIC! She can hear great and is a baby genius. Okay...maybe not a Baby Genius, but she is a very SMART SMART GIRL! Eh...I'm gonna stick with a Baby Genius. I'm the Mommy so I can be bias!

The ENT Doctor was very matter of fact. She doesn't need anything (right now). We'll continue to monitor her and if she has several ear infections this Winter that are more than minor we can do the surgery. Chances are she has outgrown this. "WHAT? WHAT IS THAT YOU SAY? SAY THAT AGAIN!" "YES YES YES I HEARD YOU RIGHT...CHANCES ARE MARIAH HAS OUTGROWN THIS!"

I think the Doctor thought Scott and I were trying to convince her to do the surgery! We kept saying things like 'Well...she HAS had 3-4 ear infections this year and two were in the Summer months.' The Doctor kind of looked at us as if to say "...and?" I asked more than once 'So...no ear tubes no adnoids?' It isn't we wanted Mariah to go through the surgery, we had just prepared ourselves and were honestly SHOCKED to hear the news! I would like to add that both of her ear tubes are OUT (well one is still in the ear canal but out of the ear drum).

I walked out of the Doctors office giddy! Whew. I am glad I was prepared for the worst, but it just proved to me even more I am a serious WORRY WART!

I gave Mariah a bath last night and was sloppy with blocking the water from her ears (on purpose)...it was a FANTASTIC FEELING! Three years of worrying about getting water in her ears and we are FINALLY D-O-N-E! Mariah was laughing and giggling as I splashed the water over her face and hair. Okay...seriously I am getting teary eyed writing about it. But, the Mommy Worry Wart in me was always worried that I had caused her ear infection because I wasn't careful enough about getting water in her ears during bath/swimming.It was a Mommy stressor of mine and I feel liberated that I don't have to worry so much anymore! Now..I'm not going to go dunking her head in the tub, but perhaps she'll enjoy bathtime a little bit more now!

In Shelly world, when Mariah got her second set of ear tubes and her teachers commented that she didn't articulate as much as the other kids in her class, I was convinced she had suffered some kind of hearing loss. Two hearing test later and I am reassured her hearing is perfect! I am so happy!

Today - I am thankful for so many things! The following is poem Meredith emailed me. It reminds me not to take things for granted.

BE THANKFUL
I AM THANKFUL FOR THE WIFE WHO SAYS IT'S HOT DOGS TONIGHT,
BECAUSE SHE IS HOME WITH ME, NOT WITH SOMEONE ELSE.

FOR THE HUSBAND WHO IS ON THE SOFA BEING A COUCH POTATO,

BECAUSE HE IS HOME WITH ME AND NOT OUT AT THE BARS.

FOR THE TEENAGER WHO IS COMPLAINING ABOUT DOING DISHES

BECAUSE THAT MEANS SHE IS AT HOME, NOT ON THE STREETS.

FOR THE TAXES THAT I PAY

BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I AM EMPLOYED.

FOR THE MESS TO CLEAN AFTER A PARTY

BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I HAVE BEEN SURROUNDED BY FRIENDS.

FOR THE CLOTHES THAT FIT A LITTLE TOO SNUG

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE ENOUGH TO EAT.

FOR MY SHADOW THAT WATCHES ME WORK

BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM OUT IN THE SUNSHINE.

FOR A LAWN THAT NEEDS MOWING, WINDOWS THAT NEED

CLEANING, AND GUTTERS THAT NEED FIXING

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE A HOME.

FOR ALL THE COMPLAINING I HEAR ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT

BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

FOR THE PARKING SPOT I FIND AT THE FAR END OF THE PARKING LOT

BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM CAPABLE OF WALKING

AND THAT I HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH TRANSPORTATION.

FOR MY HUGE HEATING BILL

BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM WARM.

FOR THE LADY BEHIND ME IN CHURCH THAT SINGS OFF KEY

BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I CAN HEAR.

FOR THE PILE OF LAUNDRY AND IRONING

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR.

FOR WEARINESS AND ACHING MUSCLES AT THE END OF THE DAY

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE BEEN CAPABLE OF WORKING HARD.

FOR THE ALARM THAT GOES OFF IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS

BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I AM ALIVE.

AND FINALLY...

FOR TOO MUCH E-MAIL

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE FRIENDS WHO ARE THINKING OF ME.


Today - I am thankful for Mariah's healthy ears because it means she can hear!!! Do a little happy dance for Mariah and her ears! Go Mariah's EARS! Go Mariah's EARS! It's your birthday have a cupcake with sprinkles!!! As Mariah celebrates her third birthday and we spend oodles of $$$ on her party and her gifts, I think the best gift she can have is the gift of healthy ears!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEA! YEA! MayMay and PAPA are doing the happy dance for Mariah's healthy ears!!!!!